Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Parker's 1st Day of 1st Grade

My baby is growing up and boy have I been emotional. Paker has been so excited to start 1st grade and I realized this morning how ready he is. Last night we went to Back to School night and met his teacher. Once we got home he started laying out his clothes just as he will wear them, backpack and all. This morning, I asked him where he wanted me to walk him to (i.e. the field, outside the school or right to his classroom). He decided he wanted me to go right to the classroom so off we went. Once we got to the playground at the school, he saw one of his classmates from last year and said "Never mind mom, I'll be fine, you can go now." I about broke out into tears right there, but luckily held them in long enough to give him a hug goodbye. I had a few tears on the walk home and then it was just some sadness as I am realizing how fast time flies. I can't believe my oldest child is already in 1st grade. He is now on his own most of the day. My thoughts were with him all day long, wondering what he was doing, if he was listening to the teacher, finding good friends and getting his own lunch, etc. I've decided sending a child to 1st grade is much more difficult for me than sending one to kindergarten. Then to add to my loneliness, Madi was definitely missing her brother and best friend as well. All day long she was asking me when we could go pick Parker up from school. At about 10:30 or 11:00 I told her it would be a little while after lunch before we could pick him up and she said "I want lunch now!" She was trying to find any way she could to speed up the process. After doing some grocery shopping, we decided to make Parker's favorite oatmeal cookies to help pass the time. This is a cheesy grin, but he really wanted to show his missing tooth. Running through the field on the way to school. He was so excited to get there! Parker had a great first day. He ate popcorn chicken, oriental rice, a tube thing filled with stuff that looked like a telescope (an egg roll), fruit cocktail, chocolate milk and a fortune cookie. His fortune said "You enjoy the spotlight, become an entertainer!" Mrs. Martineau said he did a great job, however she could tell all the kids were really tired and ready to go home. It is a big change going from 1/2 a day of kindergarten to a full day of 1st grade, but Parker did great! He said his favorite part about 1st grade is that they get to have two recesses. By that evening he was exhausted and breaking into tears quite a bit. I have a feeling the next couple of weeks will be a big adjustment.

No comments: